Monday, April 27, 2009

No. 4: Reaching the Pacific


So yesterday I reached the Pacific Ocean.

This picture will verify that I am truly on the West Coast. I have not been hiding out in Hoboken, nor have I jumped a subway to San Diego (a la Rosie Ruiz). I am here ... in California.

Today, I am actually in Morro Bay. Great town ...

Today was also a great riding day for me. Five hundred miles ... four special roads, and I found the Treasure of the Sierra Madre (eat your heart out Bogie). It is State Road 33. Sixty miles of twists and turns, ups and downs, I was smiling so hard my jaw still hurts. This may be the best piece of asphalt that i have ridden yet. Sixty miles... After twenty I had enough.

The road ends in a town called Ojai, which is also spectacular.

Tomorrow, Highway 1 past Big Sur. This is it. The mecca of motorcycling, highway numero uno. I hope that I am up to it.

Tomorrow night, dinner with my future son-in-law ... I hope that I am up to it.

Next: Lessons