Saturday, April 18, 2009

No. 2: Tarkington's

On day 3, I was riding down the Natchez Trace Scenic Parkway out of Nashville, Tennessee on my way to Jackson, Mississippi. I realized that I needed gasoline, so I went to my trusty Garmin and hit the fuel button.

A bunch of stations popped up so I went for the Exxon station which was the closest (4.2 miles). And I believe Exxon is the biggest oil company in the USA since it merged with Mobil.

After riding down roads which got smaller and smaller, I ended up on a gravel road which literally ran through a stream, and at the end of the road was Tarkington's.



I didn't quite know what to make of the place, but I needed gas so I shut the bike engine down and was greeted by the dog on the porch and a couple of roosters.

As I walked up to the porch door I could smell the fresh coffee and baked bread and pies. I opened the screen door, walked inside, and the woman behind the counter asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee and something to eat.

I told her that I needed gas and she said I might as well have a seat because it was going to take a little while for the pump to warm up. She threw the switch on the pump and poured me a cup of coffee. I passed on the food.

Her husband was watching me suspiciously from the next room, and I him. She asked me what I was doing in those parts and I flashed my U.S. Merchant Marine card at her and told her that I was a special government agent down from New York investigating UFO sightings.



She didn't ask me any more questions.

The coffee was free....the gas was eight bucks.

America is a great country.

NEXT: On the reservation