Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No. 9: Heading home

Last night I was in Pittsburgh. I like Pittsburgh. It's got that blue-collar, neighborhood feel about it. I was in Cleveland the night before (to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). Cleveland is nice ... prettier, cleaner ... but it is not Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is gritty ... in a good way.

I went to Pittsburgh for an engineering conference a year or two ago and I ate at a great little joint (17th Street Cafe), so I went back last night. Once again it was a culinary delight. Afterward, I went to Carson City Saloon (voted #1 sports bar in Pitt) to watch the Penguins/Capitols game. It was pandemonium (I'm not sure what that means but you get the idea). People screaming, cheering, crying ... it was something I will not soon forget.



Today, I rode the Appalachian Mountains and the Pennsylvania countryside. I visited Fallingwater (home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright), the Flight 93 memorial site (crashed 9/11), the Gettysburg battlefield, and Amish country.

All were impressive and thought-provoking in their own way. I decided that my little beard doesn't make me look like a bad dude at all. In fact, I fit right in with my Mennonite brothers (say Amen). Don't worry Gen, I will shave before graduation (Genevieve gets her Masters from Tufts this weekend).

There is one thing that has been on my mind, and i know Vivien will have the answer. What happens to the soap? I have spent the night in over twenty hotel rooms in the last month. Every night I take a shower, use the soap like crazy (the face bar because it is usually about 1/2 the size of the shower bar), trying to use it up, and I don't make a dent in it. I hope that they don't throw those things out.
Look at the bar in the picture - it is a special massaging bar and it still has the little nubbies on it. Do they recycle these things? Even the cute little shampoo containers ... do they get refilled? When i was in Santa Fe I got sick (I can't eat Spanish or Mexican food) and ended up staying an extra night. I had to change rooms, because the room I had was booked. I brought my slightly used soap with me ... it seemed like the right thing to do.

I think that I am ready to go back to work, now.

-Teddy