Saturday, May 9, 2009

No. 8: Rocky and Buddha in the Black Hills

Tuesday, May 5, I spent the day in the Denver area. I got my tires changed - oh sweet joy and happiness - then I went to visit Johnny Ponytail at his jobsite. They are pouring 20,000 cys of concrete using symons forms; thick, tall walls and heavy slabs. I asked him why they weren't using doka's, or peri's, or something big. He said that his boss got the symons forms really cheap. I was thinking that we have some tin pans that we could sell to this guy really cheap. Gildo probably has some too.

When I was leaving the site I dropped my bike and scratched it. I put my foot into sloping soft ground and, adios amigo, I was lying down admiring the western blue sky. Stupid! I had dinner with John and Robin, they are well, John is ponytailless, and says hi to all.

The next day I was off to the Black Hills of South Dakota ... in search of Paul McCartney's Rocky Raccoon. I looked in Deadwood (I saw the graves of Annie O. and Wild Bill H.), Sturgis (lots of Harleys there), Hot Springs, Rapid City - but I only saw buffalo.



I also went to Mount Rushmore and saw the world's greatest blasting job. It took 13 years to complete; Turner would have thrown them off the job after nine months.



Meanwhile that song kept going through my head:

Her name was Magill
and she called herself Lil
but everyone knew her as Nancy...

Rocky Raccoon
checked into his room
only to find Gideon's Bible...

I opened the drawer of the night table in my hotel room that night looking for Gideon's Bible, but instead I found a book on the teachings of Buddha. Wow, they certainly have come a long way in the Wild West. I opened it in the middle (like cutting a deck of cards), and read ...

Often people disregard the affinity of their true mind for Buddha's enlightened wisdom,
and because of it are caught by the enlightenment of worldly passions, becoming attached
to the discrimination of good and evil, and then lamenting over their bondage and suffering.

If Rocky Raccoon had read that before he went to meet Magill's new boyfriend, he never would have gotten shot.

Next: Heading home